Saturday, March 12, 2016

Communities of Practice

One organization I could join to help me with my project is the Ohio Association for the Education for Young Children. This would be a great organization because it is an organization that is composed of center directors, administrators, teachers, social workers, and family care providers, which could offer many insights into my project of developing an anti-bias curriculum (Ohio AEYC, 2016). I could bounce ideas off of those who are specialized in the field, and take many different opinions into consideration when developing my curriculum.

Another group I could join is the Shelby Country Board of Developmental Disabilities. This organization is in my home county in Ohio, and it services the teachers to many area preschool centers (SCBDD, 2016). I feel this would be another great group to gt involved in because it will allow me to interact with teachers in the area, and see what they are in the need for. It will also allow me to geta baetter idea of what type of personal biases they are seeing in the classroom, and what i should focus my project on.

The final group that I could get involved in is Ohio Association of Child Care Providers. This is another state organization that is composed of directors and business owners of child care centers (OACCP, 2016). I feel that by getting involved in this association, I can interact with business leaders and directors, and propose my project idea to them. They could offer any available insights they may think I need when planning my anti-bias curriculum. 

One job opportunity I found that I am interested in would be a Lead Teacher position at a preschool center in the area. I feel this position would allow me to work on my anti-bias curriculum, as well as developing the teaching skills with preschoolers. In order to get this position I feel I would need to get some more experience in the early childhood field as far as teaching goes, and maybe start out as as an assistant to get to that lead teaching position. 


References:
OACCP. (2016). What is OACCP?. Retrieved from http://www.oaccp.org/?page=WhatisOACCP

Ohio AEYC. (2016). About Ohio AEYC. Retrieved from http://www.oaeyc.org/#!copy-of-about-us/c5ah

SCBDD. (2016). Shelby County Board of Developmental Disabilities: Vision, Mission, and Core Values. Retrieved from http://www.shelbydd.org/about-us/vision

1 comment:

  1. Abby,
    Supporting children's full potential in this multicultural, multiracial, and multilingual world empowers them to feel comfortable existing and the ability to stand up and not be a bystander to the injustices of this world. Rather it is important that we all find our place to impact society.
    As a resource for you check out "Anti-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves" by Louise Derman-Sparks and Julie Olsen Edwards
    Ebony

    ReplyDelete