Friday, March 20, 2015

Positive Effects of Research Study

For this week's assignment, I chose to find a research article had had positive effects of using children as part of the their research. The study I found look at how what children ate for breakfast effected how they acted in school. We all know that breakfast in the most important meal of the day. By consuming breakfast, children are getting the required nutrients needed and often time have a lower BMI (Adolphus, Lawton, & Dye. 2013). Those who don't eat breakfast or often less likely to be physically active and have a lower cardio-respiratory fitness level (Adolphus, Lawton, & Dye. 2013). Further, there is evidence that breakfast can positively affect learning in children in terms of behavior, cognitive, and school performance (Adolphus, Lawton, & Dye. 2013). The study look at children who didn't eat breakfast vs. the students that did. The findings of the study concluded that children paid better attention and did better in classes then those who didn't have breakfast (Adolphus, Lawton, & Dye. 2013). This study has a positive effect because it shows parents and families the importance of their children having breakfast, and how it can help improve behavior and on-task in the classroom.

Reference
Adolphus, K., Lawton, C., & Dye, L. (8 Aug 2013). The effects of breakfast on behavior and academic performance in children and adolescents. Human Neuroscience. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3737458/.

3 comments:

  1. Abby,

    When my younger son was in kindergarten his teacher would tell me on certain mornings he would be very hyper. The first thought of the teacher was maybe he forgot to take his medicine for ADHD. I assured her that was not the case, so I conducted my own research/observation. I found out the days he ate breakfast at school were the days he was hyper. He would only drink strawberry milk for breakfast and white milk for lunch. For some strange reason strawberry milk had a hyper effect on my son. I was very fortunate to have staff members in the cafeteria to remind my son to drink white milk for breakfast. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, thank you for sharing the information on breakfast and learning. I always made sure my children ate and drank something before leaving for school when they were in elementary and junior high school. When they got to high school my middle child decided not to eat breakfast, saying if he ate he got hungry in the middle of the morning and if he didn't eat he didn't get hungry. I wish I would have had access to this information then...perhaps I could have convinced him he really did need to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article you chose. Yes breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Even as an adult we need this main source of energy to boot up our day. I really like this article. When I was younger my grandmother used to make me eat breakfast every morning and I had a hard time with this because I was not a morning eater, but now I know better.

    ReplyDelete