Friday, July 24, 2015

Communicating Evaluation

Looking at how I evaluated myself and how others evaluated me, one thing that kind of surprised me was realized that people described me at a people-orientated person. This surprised me because, I'm definitely a people person, and sometimes too trusting of others. I was surprised most that my mom and my friend who took the survey know it too. My friend always comments on how sometimes I'm too trusting of people, and I always blew her off, until someone I trusted "threw me under the bus" once and she was like "I told you so". I always thought being a people-oriented person was a good thing, but there are some negatives to it. This might affect my professional life because I may become too trusting, and it may hinder my judgment in situations when it comes to making professional decisions. It also might affect my personal life because I may get seriously hurt by someone I originally thought I could trust, and relationships could be ruined.

The another thing that did surprise me the most was the verbal aggression scale survey. I was considered significant by myself and by the people the evaluated me. I was surprised by this because under the description it talked about how I might cross the line and become argumentativeness. This actually kind of surprised me because I hate getting into arguments...I really try to avoid arguments, and I think sometimes just keep what I really want to say to myself, because I know it will either start an argument or make the argument even worse. This mindset might affect my professional work because I am back down if someone confronts me instead of standing up to them, and this might affect my personal life because I'm not given my full opinion, and thus may not get my say on topics or activities.

3 comments:

  1. Abby,

    I was amazed of how others evaluated me also. I know I'm a people person, but I'm not too trusting of others. It takes a lot to gain my trust. I know that part is incorrect for me.

    As for verbal aggression, I don't like confrontations or arguments. I walk away when it becomes too heated. However, I'm not a pushover! Although this evaluation shows how others perceive us and how we perceive ourselves, it's not a true evaluation to how we actually communicate with others. My opinion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, these assessments are a valuable tool to these three areas of communication. I'm a people-oriented person as well and was surprised to see the negatives that come from it. I like how you pointed out how it can hinder decision making in your professional life. That was one negative I hadn't considered before. I really enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby, don't be too hard on yourself about the evaluations. Being a people oriented type of listener shows that you care about others and how they feel. This listening style makes it easier for you to build relationships, (Rubin, Rubin, Graham, Perse,& Seibold, 2009). When we are working with children and families building relationships is such an important step. As for your verbal aggression, the goal should be to become more balanced by respectfully disagreeing which sounds like a contradiction but really it is just hearing out the other person and taking the time to explain why you feel you are right or why it needs to be done your way even though you understand their view.

    ReplyDelete