Friday, November 27, 2015

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practices

Looking at some consequences I might expect for the children and families with whom I am working with while experiencing specific "-isms" in my own life would be possibly having a negative attitude towards the children and family. If I am experiencing personal "-isms" towards myself, I may become sad and upset with those people, and may take my frustration out on the children and families. Another consequence I anticipate to happened would be that I would stop teaching anti-bias education, because I feel offended by the "-isms" that are happening in my personal life. In order to have a successful anti-bias classroom, the teachers need to know themselves (Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards, 2010). If I have experience personal "-isms" then I do not know myself fully, and would need to work on that. I feel these are just a few of examples of consequences I might expect for the children and families to have if I am experiencing "-isms" in my own life.

Reference:
     Derman-Spark, L. & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and
     ourselves
. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children

No comments:

Post a Comment