Friday, February 6, 2015

International Contacts Part 2

Since this week I focused my discussion board topic on the changes of kindergarten, I decided to ask my contact Mia how kindergarten was in Australia. The biggest difference is that their kindergarten is what we consider preschool. Children are allowed to enter kindergarten if they are 4 by April 30 of the year they are starting kindergarten (school years run for January to December). Another difference was that families have to pay for kindergarten, although those who can't financially afford it, can receive government assistance. In the United States, as long as children are attending a public school, kindergarten is free. Although, we do have to pay for preschool. After students complete kindergarten they then advance to Year/Grade 1. I also learned that each territory in Australia has their own set of rules as far as when students can enter kindergarten and such. 
After talking to Mia, I realized that our preschool programs are very similar to their kindergarten, and they offer many of the same benefits our preschool programs offer our children. The children are given time to play, develop social skills, but also learn what they need to be learning. Although I found it interesting that in Australia each territory has their own set requirements, where as in the United States is pretty uniformed throughout the country. I was also aware of the fact that the school went year round. When I was in Australia, I remember talking to my host family about this, and how they the just have longer breaks throughout the year. Overall, I enjoyed learning form my contact, and look forward to when we can talk again. 

2 comments:

  1. Abby,
    I enjoyed reading about the school system in Australia and I learned something about their school that I didn't know or just wasn't aware of. I had assumed that kindergarten around the world was free. hank you for sharing and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,
    Your post was rather interesting and being from Trinidad and Tobago, I was able to compare my country with the USA and Australia.
    In T &T our school year run from September to July with three weeks vacation for Christmas, two weeks for Easter and eight weeks for Summer.
    The strange thing however is that in my country there is no distinction between preschool and kindergarten. Children move from the daycare to preschool/ kindergarten at 2.5 years, then primary school (first year) at five years old. Children are eligible to attend the primary school if they will be five by December of the first term.
    The government is on a drive to have early childhood education free for all. Some schools are already on stream with free early childhood education; however it is a slow process with most schools still charging a fee. The more prestigious the school is; the more exorbitant the fee. It is therefore difficult for low- income families to support their children in the preschool/ kindergarten resulting in stay at home parents to take care of children and ever lower income as there is one bread winner.
    Public primary school is free and available throughout the country though. Teachers receive free teacher training and the system is quite effective. Free meals are available and free books from certain publishers. Exploring early childhood systems around the globe is indeed interesting as there exists quite a few disparities. For equity to be realised no child should be left behind, but until all children are given the same opportunities, then excellence in education will be a far way off.

    ReplyDelete